Memphis is world-famous for a number of things, but if you were asked to associate it with one word, the common answer would be music. The city is synonymous with American Music. If you read through the history of blues, soul, rock n roll, soul, gospel and country, you’ll learn that each one of them has their roots in Memphis.
Music scene in Memphis:
The city’s dwellers are keen about keeping the music history alive. The vibrant music scene attracts an overwhelming number of visitors every year. There are live music events all year-around featuring the best talent. Check out the schedule of music events before you plan your travel dates.
To know about the events in Memphis, visit the website of WeareMemphis. You can find the detailed list of upcoming concerts, festivals and celebrations. Find our when your favorite bands are performing and plan your trip accordingly.
Music Festivals in Memphis:
Beale Street Music Festival: This biggest annual music festival is held every year in the first weekend of May at Tom Lee Park. Enjoy 3 days of live music featuring local and national artists on 4 stages.
Memphis Music and Heritage Festival: The Centre hosts this annual festival every year during the Labor Day weekend. This 2-day event covers a wide variety of music genres and lets you indulge in local art and regional dishes.
International Blues Challenge: Witness budding Blues artists battle their talents out in this 5-day event which includes at least 260 Blues artists at Beale Street.
Delta Fair and Music Festival: The traditional fair offers attractions for all age groups making it a much-loved festival by parents. Apart from impressive live music, there are games, crafts, clothes, children’s petting zoo, Delta Fair Queen Pageant etc.
Gonerfest: Held during late September or October, this 3-day festival focuses on punk, indie rock, Metal and Ska music and is hosted at multiple venues.
Dreamfest weekend: Dreamfest was introduced in 2011 as a one-night event to celebrate Martin Luther King Jr. Day. It was a huge hit among music-lovers and has ever since transformed into a weekend-long event featuring various music genres.
Popular upcoming 2020 Events in April:
Any Memphis festival be it something related to art, food or beer, is incomplete without live music. The lined-up events in April are:
- Art in the Loop (April 3rd to 5th): Art-lovers can take part in 3-day art festival which has exhibits of local artwork. Local musicians perform live classical music and there are the city’s popular food trucks serving visitors.
- Lights Water Fest (April 11th): It is a great time to meet the Memphian locals. Thousands of families gather for great food and impressive music.
- Vintage910 Spring Weekend (April 17th to 19th): Held 4th time in a row, the festival involves live music, food and wine and celebrates the Memphis culture.
- Rajun Cajun Crawfish Festival (April 19th): Expect a crowd of at least 35,000 people that features love music by national and local musicians and a number of exciting games.
- V&E Artwalk (April 25th): It offers the perfect platform for local artists. There’s lovely art for sale, live music, youth art competition, silent auction, children’s area, great food and wine.
What better place to enjoy music than the Music city? Plan your Memphis trip this April and take part in one of these events to know what the fuss is about.